If I had money….

9 Jan

A million dollars to be exact. If I had a million dollars, what would I do? It’s actually difficult for me to answer. When you go from just getting by to living comfortably, it makes you appreciate what you have. I’ve never been one to buy designer anything just to fit in. Heck, carrying a designer handbag would only make me paranoid at every moment that someone would steal it.

With that being said, some of the money would go towards a new house. Hate to disappoint, but no, it won’t be oceanfront property. Just a larger house than the one I have now which is bursting at the seams.

It would also go to help pay for Andrew’s preschool and while we’re at it, a wash, dry, & fold service for our laundry since that’s the one chore my husband and I can’t stand.

Yes, I’m quite surprised at how I would spend a million dollars. If you asked me the same question 20 (!) years ago, I would’ve told you the cliche mansion on a hill with a large swimming pool and a limo. I just feel like I don’t need all that. It’s a little over the top for me. I’d rather have that money over a long period of time instead of blowing it all on crazy things that we don’t need. I would just like to live a little more comfortably with some perks.

I just wonder if I would react the same way if I was actually given a million dollars in cash right now.

How about you? Let us know at Finish the Sentence Friday

Finish the Sentence Friday
About these ads

18 Responses to “If I had money….”

1. Deb @ Urban Moo Cow January 9, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

Yeah, I think that’s right on. Your material needs shrink in direct proportion to your growing family. Ironic. But yeah, I would still probably buy that brownstone with 5 mil!

• basicallyb January 10, 2014 at 7:51 pm #

I’m with you on that brownstone. No question about it!

2. canigetanotherbottleofwhine January 9, 2014 at 9:54 pm #

I’m the same way, I’m just way too frugal. I’d pay stuff off, maybe take a European vacation, donate some, and then save. I’d still shop at Goodwill. :-)

• basicallyb January 10, 2014 at 7:50 pm #

Yeah you’d still find me a TJ Maxx too :)

3. Kate @ Another Clean Slate January 10, 2014 at 7:05 am #

It is crazy that a million dollars doesn’t go as far as it used to. I would definitely want to get a condo in the city- not too big but definitely bigger than I have now!

• basicallyb January 10, 2014 at 7:50 pm #

It’s pretty sad that the money doesn’t go as far. I do like that so far, everyone wants to live comfortably, not overly extravagant.

4. findingninee January 10, 2014 at 7:40 am #

I’d use a million dollars so much differently than I would 20 years ago too! A new house would be nice though…

• basicallyb January 10, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Oh yeah, I think our perceptions are different when we’re younger!

5. Lisa @ The Golden Spoons January 10, 2014 at 8:20 am #

How I would spend it now is definitely different than what I would have done 20 years ago! It is actually pretty sad how little that much money would get you these days, too. I probably couldn’t even do half of the thing son my list even if someone did drop a million buck into my lap!

• basicallyb January 10, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Our perspective changes over time & yes it’s sad a million dollars doesn’t go as far as it used to.

6. Chris at Hye Thyme Cafe January 10, 2014 at 10:24 am #

I actually do have a house on the beach on my list, but just a little one. I grew up spending my summers on Cape Cod, then lived there for a few years before moving away. I soooooooooooo miss listening to the ocean at night. There’s nothing like falling asleep to the waves lapping at the shore, and you can’t beat the sunrise/set or full moon over the ocean. Big houses require too much upkeep – would need a bigger jackpot. ;)

• basicallyb January 10, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

Cape Cod sounds beautiful. I still haven’t been. The one time I was in Boston was over July 4th & my in laws advised against it. One day…. I do love the sound of the waves. I go to the beach as much as I can. It never gets old. Also yes, big house requires more work & more people to take care of it, no thanks!

7. Stephanie @ Mommy, for Real. January 10, 2014 at 12:15 pm #

I agree- over the top isn’t really my style. Just knowing I could be comfortable for life would be great! I don’t think I’ve ever owned a designer anything. :)

• basicallyb January 10, 2014 at 7:47 pm #

Yeah same here. I just want to live comfortably & have the money saved for a rainy day.

8. Jen January 11, 2014 at 7:08 am #

The sad thing is a million dollars is probably not even a down payment on a mansion on a hill over looking the ocean these days! I think being smart about it is the best way to go!

• basicallyb January 12, 2014 at 1:53 pm #

Yeah it’s so sad that a million dollars doesn’t go as far!

9. Meg Kra January 11, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

I love your idea of wash and fold service for your laundry. I am totally adding that to the things that I would spend my money on.

• basicallyb January 12, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

I know right? Can’t stand laundry. I’d totally spend money on a service if I could.