Ten Things of Thankful

5 Jan

Happy New Year! I’m glad to be getting back into the swing of things. I mentioned before that I am so ready for the holidays to be over. Yes, I realize it’s been two weeks since Christmas, but we are just getting around to taking our tree down today. It’s a new year, I’m glad I have a chance to start over, and I have so much to be thankful for this week.

1) Did I mention I am glad 2014 is here? 2013 was a very trying year for me & I refuse to say that two years in a row, so this year is all about focusing on the positive.

2) I am glad my dad came to visit. It sucks not having family around & I wish he lived locally so he could see Andrew grow. However,we’re averaging seeing him twice a year, so it’s better than nothing.

3) Speaking of my dad, I’m glad we got extra help these last two weeks. He was the one that picked up Andrew every morning after he woke up, fed him breakfast, and played with him. Mat & I were happy to get some extra sleep, my dad was happy that he got to bond w/ his grandson. Everyone wins.

4) My dad has always been supportive & encouraging, but just hearing him say he was proud of me made me feel great.

5) I got back into journaling. I got a freebie journal in a swag bag a few years ago & I decided to put into use last month. It’s so therapeutic getting my thoughts out there.

6) I’m proud of how far I’ve come in ice skating. Fear held me back for a while when I first started. Sure, I’m still terrified of barreling down the ice at full speed & THEN jumping, but I’ve come a long way. On New Year’s Eve, I did jump combos for the first time. I’m very proud & so was my coach!

7)  I’m looking forward to the longest date ever. We’re going to the BCS Championship tomorrow! We haven’t seen an FSU game since we were in college & I’m so glad they’re coming out here to play. Go Noles!

8) I’m glad to have our regular sitter come back & watch Andrew 3x/week this month after not having her a whole month. It’s  been very trying being a stay at home mom all day & I look forward to having some of my me time back.

9) Andrew just makes me laugh a lot these days. He’s grown to be a funny little boy always trying to make new sounds. It’s just cute to here.

10) Finally, thank you for Skype! My dad may have gone back home, but I’m glad that Andrew will still be able to see grandpa online until the next time we see each other again. Maybe he’ll read him a story too.

WHat are you thankful for?

Ten Things of Thankful
About these ads

17 Responses to “Ten Things of Thankful”

1. lrconsiderer January 5, 2014 at 11:32 am #

It sounds as though the budding relationship between Andrew and your dad is really a beautiful thing, and I’m so pleased that you have a way to keep that going now your dad’s back home.

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE JUMP :D So nice to be able to celebrate a real, solid personal achievement in the field of ‘self-betterment’ :)

• basicallyb January 5, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

thanks so much. It was nice to see my dad & Andrew together. Thanks for the kind words on the jump. It was definitely a good way to lead into the new year!

2. Dyanne @ I Want Backsies January 5, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

You can ice skate?! Color me impressed! It’s good that you had a nice, long visit from your dad. We were over 2,000 miles from family until my son was 2, so I know it’s hard when you can’t see your dad very often. Enjoy your date night! Hope it’s warm where you are!

• basicallyb January 5, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

Thanks for understanding. It’s hard being away from family but skype does help. Skating is my “gym”. It’s my most favorite exercise :)

3. zoe January 5, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

THat is so cool that you do the ice skate thing… It takes some hutzpa! Congrats on the jump and toe loop thingie ( sorry … my pro skate lingo is off)…

Don’t you just love that we live in a world with Skype capability?

• basicallyb January 5, 2014 at 3:19 pm #

Skype is a beautiful thing. It definitely helps seeing the person on the end of the line until the next time you see them in person. Don’t worry about the skating lingo, I know what you mean :) Thanks for the kind words too!

4. Kate @ Another Clean Slate January 5, 2014 at 3:02 pm #

I’m with you- no way can i handle another lousy year. Here’s to a better 2014!

• basicallyb January 5, 2014 at 3:22 pm #

Absolutely! Hoping for a bright 2014 for the both of us & anyone else who had a crummy 2013.

5. Lisa @ The Meaning of Me January 5, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

Ice skating? And jumping? I’m way impressed. I’ve never been on ice skates and something tells me I’m way too chicken to try.

Sounds like so many people had a sub-par or downright awful 2013 – I’m not superstitious as a rule, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s just about the number. But I’m definitely with you on the desire to push that year behind and move forward!

Happy new year!

• basicallyb January 5, 2014 at 6:38 pm #

Thank you thank you. I think skating as a kid, even though it was only for 2 years, actually helped me as an adult. I really admire the adult skaters that have never skated in their lives. It’s not easy & downright scary. I had some experience & they don’t. So it’s nice to see them all progress.

I’m not superstitious either but like you, I know a lot of people that had a horrendous 2013. It was also the year of the snake, which was also the year 2001, which was an even worse year for me. Nonetheless, yes, it’s time to move forward!

6. christine January 5, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

Congrats on the jumps!!! My daughter took skating lessons for several years, and I would go out and skate in circles while she had her lessons. I love the feel of the speed, but I ain’t doing no jumps! :)
    Those two weeks of your dad getting Andrew in the morning had to be heavenly. For all of you. It isn’t easy raising kids without family in town. I know. We don’t have any relatives in our state. It’s nice that Andrew and Grandpa can at least see each other with the computer, though.
    Here’s to a much better 2014!

• basicallyb January 5, 2014 at 9:25 pm #

Isn’t skating wonderful? :) Yeah it’s definitely a challenge raising a baby w/ no family in town, but at least there’s Skype until then! Yes, here’s to a bright 2014!

7. Jen January 5, 2014 at 9:18 pm #

I’m thankful I get to know you better through TTOT and not just mixtape! Its nice you have such a good relationship with your father, my mom and I, not so much. Hearing a parent’s praise is always appreciated, even when you should “know” its there.
    Also, I thought blogging was journaling? You have time for both?? WTHECK? Talk to me when Andrew is 8.

• basicallyb January 5, 2014 at 9:27 pm #

Yes I’m glad I get to know you too! I love Mixed Tape too cuz I love music to the point that my husband is still amazed that I can identify almost every song on the radio within the first seconds. :) I hear ya on the relationship w/ moms though. With mine….not so much either. I’ll be sure to get back to you on the journaling thing when Andrew is 8 ;) Mind you, right now it’s short entries, nothing epic :)

8. Sandy Ramsey January 6, 2014 at 6:28 am #

I think 2013 was a trying year for a lot of people! I am totally with you on being glad the holidays (and the year) are over even if I don’t like to rush them. I love all the gratitude for your Dad. I think it’s wonderful! I live in Florida and even though we have places you can go, we never do it. Probably because we can’t do it and I’m terrified of broken bones…for any of us. I hope you have a great time at the game! Should be a good one.

• basicallyb January 7, 2014 at 9:07 pm #

2013 was definitely one of the worst! Thanks for the sympathy on the holidays coming to and end & my dad too. The BCS game was amazing! Go Noles :)

9. cynkingfeeling January 6, 2014 at 7:15 am #

I’ve never tried ice skating, so I have nothing but respect for your latest feat. Good job!